Monday, May 31, 2010

Ext Skin / Counter / Cooler Drawer

Ok, here's the updated post..


The exterior skin went on fairly easily. I did it in three pieces, one on top, one on the curve, and one on the front. this was because I had to use the sheets sideways instead of lengthwise, owing to the fact that with the side walls mounted outside the floor, the camper pod is now 49.5" wide


I installed the counter, which was a 16" deep, pre-laminated shelf. the shelf was 96" long, so I'll use the other half of it for a bookshelf at home.

I also installed the rails that the sliding cabinet doors will go into. These were aluminum U-channel from Home Depot. They came in 8' lengths, which was perfect, I just cut them in half and installed 2 on top and 2 on the bottom. I drilled and countersunk one screw in each end of each rail, and used a hell of a lot of glue along their lengths to hold them in. I used a combination of Gorilla Glue (Dwayne had an old half-dried-out bottle) and Weldbond. Both products advertise that they can bond metal and wood, but just to be sure I used both.

I installed the cooler drawer using the slides I got in the surplus section at princess auto. They were originally from some kind of metal toolbox or something, so they had little tabs meant to clip them into metal. I cut those off with the angle grinder to lower their profile. Also the slides were too long for the space they went into, so I had to cut holes in the lower bulkhead and push them about 2" into the cabin. This shouldn't be an issue, they're only about 1/4" high, so they should go under the mattress with no problems, even after I build a cover for them (mainly to keep draughts (or drafts if you prefer American spelling) out. Regardless of all the modifying I had to do to make those slides work, I'm completely satisfied with them because they're very heavy duty, and will have absolutely no problem taking the weight of a fully stocked cooler.


Total Costs to date:
---------------------------------
Last total: $502.22
---------------------------------
(2) Drawer Sliders - $18.00
(2) U-molding - $10.00
(1) 16"x96" Shelf- $17.00
-------------------------------
Subt: $45
-------------------------------
TOTAL: $547.22

No comments:

Post a Comment