Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lights/Fenders


Back again, with a vengeance. This work was done on Monday and Tuesday night.

I went to Princess Auto and picked up some fenders, and a full trailer lighting kit that included tail/brake/signal lights, and two marker lights. I also got heatshrink, solder wire, and silicon grease for making the connections.


The fenders that I originally picked up didn't match. One was bent more steeply than the other, and had a sharper curve on the sides. I returned that one on tuesday and now they match quite well. They had to be spaced out about an inch from the frame of the trailer, so Dwayne and I welded some 1" square tubing in as a spacer. The fenders are each held on with 4 grade 8 hex bolts. They're very sturdy. I can walk on them and they don't budge.


We also started hooking up the lights. Above are the marker lights that came with the kit. All the lights in the kit are leds and are submersible (the diodes are moulded into clear plastic). Being a redneck, I couldn't resist buying two more sets of yellow marker lights, even through none at all are required by law for a trailer of this size.


As you probably guessed, all electriacl connections were twisted together, then soldered, covered in silicon grease to prevent corrosion, and heatshrink tubing was placed over top I also ran full ground wires back to the plug, as I'm not a believer in the "It'll ground through the hitch" theory, regardless of my apparent inability to keep my chains from dragging. I did split the ground at each light and ran one wire directly to the frame though, so each light is grounded to both the frame and the wiring harness. What can I say, with all the electrical gremlins I've been having the last few months with the VW, I can't be too cautious. Tow vehicle electrical systems (and trailer brakes) always seem to fail when you're going 100km/h around the side of a mountain at 2 am. In my limited experience.

Total Costs To Date:

I couldn't find the reciept, so I used the princess auto website to get prices.

Trailer - $27 (bottle of rum)
-------------------------------------
Trailer lighting kit - $50 (on sale)
2 Marker Lights - $10 Each
Silicon Grease - $6-ish
-----------------------------------
Subtotal - $98
-----------------------------------
TOTAL $125

No comments:

Post a Comment