Sunday, May 23, 2010

Doors, More Framing, Headliner

I started off the day by marking and cutting out the doors. As you can see, I kept the same rounded profile as the generic benroy plans from the first post of this blog. The curve on the door is a 19"radius, the same as the front curve on the roof.

I'll answer the question before you ask it: Why yes, that is me cutting into a plywood wall using an angle grinder. I wanted something that would cut a narrow, linear hole to start the jigsaw blade. I'll be using the same pieces of plywood I cut out as the actual doors, so I didn't want any big round gouges in them to leak. The cutoff wheel on the angle grinder worked very well, despite making a lot of smoke.


Next on the docket was framing the roof vent I picked up this afternoon at Canadian Tire. This was fairly straightforward.



The plywood walls were warped a bit, and not sitting plum at the front. They also weren't as stiff as I would have liked, so I put in some diagonal braces. I had to give myself a refresher trigonometry lesson to get the angles right, but they fit like a glove. They also brought the whole thing back to plum, and made it stiff as hell.


I carried on with the remainder of the roof beams, and added a couple along the centreline running fore-aft.


As darkness fell, I enlisted the help of Nathan (Dwayne's son) and his friend. The extra hands were helpful jamming the masonite headliner into position. As it turned out, the top of the roof was about 47 15/16" rather than a full 48, so it was a very snug fit, and the masonite held itself up. screwing it to the roof beams proved to be a pain in the rectum, as the screws don't seem to have quite as broad a head on them as the masonite would prefer. Regardless, I got it in before Wayner called to invite me to go find a brand spanking new geocache with him.


Sorry about the poor quality photos of the headliner. It was dark, the camera flash wasn't cooperating, and I was in a hurry to go geocaching.

Tomorrow I plan to lay a good thick bead of glue between all the roof braces and the headliner, because the screws could potentially wear through the sheet.

The 4x8 sheet just happened to go all the way to the back of the cabin. Handy. It's almost like I'd planned it that way.


Costs to date:

Last Total: $376.50
----------------------------
(4) 2x2's - $4.54
(1) Sheet of Masonite - $10
Roof Vent - $54.50
Screws - $17.00 (this is about how many I'll use by the end of the project. I'm adding them in here so I don't forget)
----------------------------
Subt: $86.04
----------------------------
TOTAL: $462.54

No comments:

Post a Comment