Monday, May 24, 2010

Discussion topics

Good Day Loyal Readers,

Now that I've got the comments enabled, here's a discussion topic for you all. I'm looking for some suggestions for a few up-coming bits of this trailer. I know I could just order the bits from the sites I'm linking here, but I'm looking for suggestions as to where I might source these parts locally (and preferably used/salvaged). I've asked the local RV dealers about these items. They can order in windows of any size for me (pricey), and the door latches they didn't know if they could get.

First, I'm looking for some door latches like this, or this. Since the doors will simply be the 3/4" ply pieces that I cut out, I need something that will mount well to them. You'll notice the handles pictured are the same kind most hardware stores sell for garage doors.
The inside latches, however, are very tricky to find, surprisingly. I like how they screw onto the inside face of the door, rather than mounting in a hole in the door, as is common in modern campers. I've seen these inside latches used in tractors, truck caps, and old campers, but have had no luck tracking any down that I can use in the teardrop.
Also, if any of you know where I might be able to find a set of handles like the ones pictured (or even 3 T-handles) that are all keyed the same, that would be very handy.

Second thing is windows. I'm looking for small windows that will mount in the doors (preferably), and that can either slide or crank open to let air flow through. the doors are 30" wide by 36"tall, so anything going there would have to be well inside those dimensions. Here are some examples: Slider, Crank, Flip-up boat window, maybe an old ext. cab truck window, who knows?

Any suggestions gratefully accepted, including different parts that might do the same job.

Cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment