Friday, June 11, 2010

Staining

It's been a few days since my last post, and not because I've stopped working on the trailer, but because the work has been so dull that it really hasn't been worth talking about. It's been a week of wood filler and sanding, and most of the time I looked like a sugar cookie. I've said it before, but I'll reiterate.. I hate finish work. Especially paint prep.

On the bright side though, I finally started staining the galley tonight. I'm using Minwax Polyshades, which is a 2-in-1 stain and polyurethane treatment. For this first coat, I used it like normal stain, painting it on and then wiping it with a rag. This got the colour into the wood, and for the next coat, I won't use the rag. I'll just brush on a thin coat of the product and then leave it to dry. That should give it the nice high gloss, tough finish that is Polyshades' claim to fame.

The photo above really doesn't do the stain justice. I don't know if it was the lighting or what, but the stain looks much better in person than it appears above. Trust me. However, the cabinet door and top drawer did actually turn out a bit lighter shade than the rest of the cabinetry. If I remember correctly, those two pieces were cut from the same sheet of plywood. It seems, for some strange reason, like that particular sheet isn't taking to the stain the same as all the rest. I may need to put an extra coat on those pieces to even them out.

Yes, that is a bit of stain that I dripped on the upper left cabinet sliding door. I'm not worried about it, as the sliding doors will be painted to match the exterior of the trailer (gloss white).


For the cost analysis, I'll add in all the paint supplies now, before I forget how much they were worth. This includes all the sandpaper, varsol, rollers, brushes etc that I got with the paint. Even though it won't all become part of the trailer, I'm adding it in, because almost all of the items are consumable goods. Wayner, I'll leave it up to you whether the full cost of all that stuff should count.

Total Costs to Date:

Last total: $693.22
------------------------------
Paint Supplies: $230
------------------------------
TOTAL: $923


P.S. Someone remind me to take photos of the windows, I just remembered that you all haven't seen them yet.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mat
    I re-finished a dresser last year using the same product- and it did a beautiful job, however, I found that a light sanding between coats was required. If memory serves me, the dresser looked significantly better following the second coat. I believe that 3 coats were applied in all. Have fun! Lynn

    ReplyDelete