Thursday, June 3, 2010

Galley Drawers


Last night was another long, persnickity job: the galley drawers. I am by no means a master cabinetmaker, but I'm satisfied with the results. I wanted a 1/8" gap around each of the drawer faces, so I used scraps of masonite to shim the faces into place when I glued and screwed them onto the drawers.
I also installed spring-roller style latches inside the cabinet doors (in the wardrobe and the galley). While I was working on this I realized that the knobs I bought for the cabinets (the same as on the wardrobe doors) wouldn't leave space for the galley hatch to close. I then cursed loudly and began thinking of alternatives. There is a gap behind the drawer fronts on the right side (beside the cooler), so they can be opened from the side, if I don't feel like putting handles on them, but I will definitely need a handle on the left-hand cabinet door. If I'm going to do that, I may want to do the same to the drawers, just for uniformity's sake.
The simplest alternative is to cut holes in the fronts using the hole saw. The other idea I had was to use they style of handles that are hinged so they lay flat against the door when not in use (like the ring handles sometimes used on steamer trunks), or I could take one of those C-shaped bar handles that are sometimes used on cabinets, overbore the holes for it, and install it with large washers behind, so that it will sit flush with the door when not in use.
Total cost to date:
------------------------------------
Prev Total: $547.22
------------------------------------
(1) Sheet 1/2" plywood - $20
(3) sets of drawer slides - $17
Cabinet hardware - $12
------------------------------------
Subt: $49
------------------------------------
TOTAL $596.22

No comments:

Post a Comment