Monday, June 7, 2010

FML

Sorry loyal readers, but there are no photos for you today. Why you ask? Well, I have reason to believe that my dog ate the micro SD card from my camera. I know it sounds like the old homework excuse, but I’m convinced that’s what happened. I was taking the card out of the camera to upload the photos from yesterday’s trailer work, when Ella the China Shop Bear jumped up and caused me to drop camera, batteries, SD card and all. She then rooted around the rubble with her nose, and as I gathered up all the dropped bits, I found no trace of the memory card. Even if I could find the damn thing after it’s been through her, I’d be surprised if it’s still functional. Not that I’d be that picky about using an 8GB turd to store my photos.

Anyway, down to business. Just because there are no photos doesn’t deny your right to kill time at work reading about my current obsession.

Saturday I didn’t get much done, I built a box to cover the cooler drawer slides where they stick into the cabin, and caulked some of the gaps in the cabin walls. Most of the day was spent retrieving an amazingly complete ’46 Chev 2-ton from a farmer in Hamiota. Dwayne can’t get over what great shape it’s in, and can’t wait to try and make it run. Prior to that though, I finally caved and went with Peter’s (my girlfriend’s father) suggestion to not muck about with fancy fiberglass and boat paint, and just use a good exterior paint. I believe it was CIL brand oil based high gloss exterior paint. Laura picked out the interior colours. The cabin will be painted a sort of cornmeal yellow, and the cabinets will be stained a dark shade, similar to the shade of the laminate countertop. I went with Minwax Polyshades (I think that’s the correct name), which is a 2-in-1 stain and polyurethane treatment. I’ve never used anything like that before, but we’ll see how it goes.

Sunday was another slow day, but I got a bit more done. I started paint prep by getting the wood filler into all the holes on the exterior.
I also scored some windows from a friend of Dwaynes. I wanted to install some small windows that would slide or pop open, but I couldn’t find any. These are a very good compromise. They are hexagonal van windows (a la 1970’s shaggin wagon) about 13” across. When I got them they had a dice design on them (see above, and use your imagination because they were much more symmetrical looking than that) , but that was easily removed by spraying them with engine degreaser, scraping the paint off with the edge of a hose clamp (couldn’t find a razor), and then buffing with a powerball and some glass cleaner. I then installed these in the doors, centered, with the points heading front-to-back, and the flat sides top and bottom. The bottom edges are in line with the door handles.
I also put a ¼-round front lip on the cooler drawer with the round edge facing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment